Welcome back! These past several weeks have been very busy, leaving me with hardly any energy to do anything else. When faced with the decision between cooking or buying a meal, I opted getting “to-go” meals which were expensive and not to mention, unhealthy. I missed preparing home-cooked meals so today, I thought of hanging around our tiny kitchen to cook some Potato and Kale Soup. It’s a simple dish to prepare for home and for work. The ingredients may be similar to Olive Garden’s Zuppa Toscana but I think our soups are unique on its own. See that TooltipTextsmall jar of dried Oregano? That came from our friend’s herb garden.
Try it out and let me know what you think. Enjoy!
- 4 pcs. yellow potato, washed, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 package Italian sausage
- 1 32 oz. (4 cups) beef broth
- 3 cups of kale, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/4c milk or cream (optional)
- In a saucepan, cook the Italian sausage until brown. Set aside and drain the oil.
- Saute’ the garlic then add the onions and cook until transparent.
- Add the sausage and season with oregano, red chili flakes, salt and black pepper.
- Add the water, beef or chicken stock and sliced potatoes. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Once the potatoes are soft, add the kale. You can turn off the heat and let the kale cook off the flame.
- Serve warm.
- Add milk or cream for extra richness (aka calories).